In the sun-soaked vineyards of Slovenian Istria, the Refošk grape has silently witnessed the unfolding of centuries. With historical roots deeply ingrained in the Istrian Peninsula, this grape variety has played a pivotal role in shaping the winemaking heritage of the region.
During the Venetian rule, Refošk found favor and began spreading its vines across the Istrian landscape. Small family vineyards became its home, and through the trials of time, it emerged as a resilient symbol of Istria’s winemaking tradition.
Despite the challenges posed by historical shifts, Refošk stood strong. The grape’s robust character and rich hues made it a cornerstone of Istria’s viticulture. Today, there is a renewed appreciation for Refošk—a revival that pays homage to its historical significance while embracing contemporary winemaking practices.
As you enjoy a glass of Refošk from Slovenian Istria, you’re not just tasting wine; you’re experiencing a piece of history. This grape, with its enduring presence, reflects the stories of ancient vines, Venetian influences, and family traditions. Each sip is a connection to the past, a nod to the resilience of Istrian winemaking, and an invitation to be part of a history that continues to evolve in every bottle.
Pair this porky masterpiece with ‘Black Baby’ – because nothing says ‘wine harmony’ like a pork party in your mouth! This duo is the real dynamic duo; they make Batman and Robin reconsider their partnership. So, grab your cape and a glass, and let the flavors unite in a heroic symphony of taste. ‘Black Baby’ and braised pork: a match made in foodie heaven!
Braised Pork with Refošk and Potatoes
– 1 kg pork shoulder, cut into chunks
– 500 ml Refošk wine
– 2 onions, finely chopped
– 3 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 carrots, sliced
– 500 g potatoes, peeled and diced
– 2 bay leaves
– 1 tsp dried thyme
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 3 tbsp olive oil
1. Marinate the pork chunks with minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes.
2. In a large, oven-safe pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the marinated pork and brown on all sides.
3. Remove the pork from the pot and set it aside. In the same pot, add chopped onions and sliced carrots. Sauté until the vegetables are softened.
4. Pour in Refošk wine, scraping the bottom of the pot to release any flavorful bits. Bring it to a simmer.
5. Add the browned pork back to the pot. Toss in bay leaves and dried thyme. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
6. Cover the pot and transfer it to a preheated oven at 160°C (320°F). Let it braise for about 2 hours or until the pork is fork-tender.
7. About 30 minutes before the end of cooking time, add diced potatoes to the pot, ensuring they are submerged in the liquid.
8. Once done, remove the pot from the oven. Serve the braised pork and potatoes in a deep dish, drizzling with the rich Refošk-infused sauce.
Enjoy this hearty dish with a glass of “Black Baby,” letting the flavors of Slovenian Istria come to life on your palate. Cheers to the perfect harmony of wine and culinary art!